My first ever trek...

Hi.

Sorry my blog has been stagnant for God knows how long. I don't want to brag and say I was busy, blah blah, because I wasn't. I have been lazy, trying to get into the whole new year mode, getting set to bear another year filled with studies, work and lots of "pressure". Ok, so now I am not going to ramble and digress. This post is specifically to write about my first trekking experience.

Now I am known for being a delicate, fragile, little "child" and spoilt to the core. I have no idea how this reputation has come across, but to quote some of my friends, I am "hioti toyti" whatever the hell that means, I don't even know how its spelled. So basically anything remotely adventurous is not my cup of tea. I am a girl who is happy with my Bru/Ccd/Leaping sessions with R, drinks with R and M every friday, saturday night, movies and junk food. So when Mom asked me that she is planning a trek, I was in two minds. It was a nice weekend, three days off were given, I had an assignment, plus fri sat is specifically kept for chilling with my friends so what should I do? Thankfully, I readily accepted and told Mum I shall definitely trek. I still do not know what clicked. Maybe to break the monotony, maybe to try something new, maybe I was sick of the usual coffee sessions. I needed a break. I needed something new. I needed to do something different for myself, something I could proudly say I did, something to give me a rush, something to break my boundaries and something completely out of my comfort zone.

Generally when you trek for the first time, you start small. But God felt that it would be fun to watch me climb a 5400 foot mountain. Mt Kalsubai (1646 meters) is the highest peak in the Sahyadris in Maharashtra. At the summit there is a plain ground where a small temple of Kalsubai (local deity) is located.
26th January (Happy Republic Day), was the day I trekked. The mountain is located in Bari Village near Igatpuri. The first day (25th) I relaxed with my family and our family friends at the resort. We had booked a lovely villa. The relaxing day was to brace us for what lied in store the next day. At six in the morning we got ready and left, and at sharp 7am we started the trek. My father specifically instructed the guide to take care of me as I have never trekked in my life, forget trekking, I have not even climbed all the stairs in my building. Everyone was doubtful if I could do it. I, myself wasn't sure.

My first hour was terrible. I wanted to call Dad and go back. I started getting severe ear aches, which further led to a horrendous head ache. I was out of breath, even though the first hour was just basic, the steep climb had not yet started. But then slowly I started getting used to it. My body was adjusting. The mountain is a 80 degree incline. Along with terrible boulders, it has broken stairs and metal ladders. The trick to handle a trek is stay ahead, and stick to the guide (if you have one). My guide was a blessing. If he wasn't there I think I would be living on the mountain or maybe fallen off somewhere. It took us three hours twenty minutes to climb, that too with no breaks. We just stopped three to four times, hardly for five minutes. The picture below is the mountain we climbed, that's how it looked when we were halfway up already! Around 800 meters done, we had half still left.


 If we stopped for too long our body would lose the flow and the climb would be more difficult. At 10:20 am we reached the top. I did not feel exhilaration,  in fact I was numb. It just did not sink in that I climbed a five and a half thousand foot mountain. I took my blessings at the temple, and silently just watched the view. Twenty minutes I was watching, just thinking. I had no feeling. I have never been this blank. I just could not digest that I managed to reach the top.


The view no doubt was amazing. We could see the complete valley below. The rest of the Sahyadri peaks were covered in clouds and we were still way above. The birds too were way below. It was like an endless pit. The depth was overwhelming. All I could see below were specks of brown and green. The picture below is the view from the top. The photos have not even captured 10 percent of its beauty.


Now the trek is not for fun. I cannot say I "enjoyed" it. It was a challenge. It was one of the toughest experience I have ever encountered in life. My legs had a life of its own. Getting down was the worse thing.It took us good three hours to get back down. It is apparently the toughest thing. My feet were like jelly. It had started to shiver and wobble. My guide had to hold me continuously so that I could safely get down. Every step I was skidding, the tiny pebbles made it worse, the metal ladders were traumatic as you could see the whole valley right through it. But in the end it is all worth it. The pain, the stress, the hurt, the exhaustion, everything is worth it, just for those few minutes of conquering something huge. When I finished the trek, and sat down at the foot of the mountain, where we started, I felt proud and successful. This moment in my life would always be significant. It is something attached to my heart, blazing with pride that I did something, on my own, with doubts all around me. Yet, I managed. When you do something big, now big depends on your perception. For me, this was an achievement. For a girl who never exercises, hates sports, lazes around, "trekking" itself is a big deal. After doing this, all your problems seem so small. Whatever I was fretting about till Thursday night, it seems is left behind, on the mountain top. 

I do not know if I would want to trek again. Seeing more rocks as of now will just make me sick. My legs hurt, I cannot walk, but for some reason I do not want to take a painkiller to stop my aches. These aches are a witness to what I did. But, like they say, never say never. Lets see if I have more mountains to climb soon.

Back to life.

Peace.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bride, the beach and 201..

Some "Arty" talk while he does Origami....

To the 2016 that was and a 2017 that will be...