Skip to main content

Taped "Rau-ters"


11 am: I realized my wifi wasn’t working. Tried to figure out and find the solution to this problem myself.  So since 3 months, the button of my wifi router was broken. The spring didn’t work, and now for the internet to be “on”, the button needed to be turned on which was impossible as the spring was broken. The solution to this was, well the right solution was to called the computer-wala and get a new router. But why waste money when we can think of a totally “Indian” solution.

We decided to stick the button with sellotape, thus the wifi has been eternally “on” for a while. Each time the net would stop working, we knew the button was loose as the tape must be wearing off. So we add more tapes. There are eight layers of tape holding one tiny black button.
However today morning, I realized that now no amount of tape can hold this together, so I made a quick call to the computer wala who is now on his way to fix my router.

12:30 pm:  I ate a McDonalds burger. (Super guilty NOT)

12.45 pm: Mom is super happy with her early birthday gift. She has been dying to read this marathi classic called “Rau” which is based on the life of Bajirao. She has been going on and on and kept going on about how she wants to read Rau which she last read when she was 13 years old. So I looked it up for her, found some tiny Marathi online store and got her the book.  It was a surprise actually that I blurted out to her yesterday by mistake and she knew the book was coming. A lesson to teach me that I need to have a filter system sorted in my head as I blurt out too much all the time.

12:50 pm: I am immersed in my own thoughts of how bad I am at planning surprises.  These thoughts are mixed with a whirlpool of tension and anxiety as I will be starting one of the biggest commissions in art that I have ever tackled. It’s a challenge, with just 10 days for it. I am so excited but nervous with the magnitude of work that has to go in it. I am yet to create the concept and storyline for this order, so I am just waiting for my “Eureka” moment to come. Probably after a few cups of tea, it shall.

1:49 pm:  Received a message from the computer-wala which says “3pm a cam mam”. Which I guess it means that he is coming at 3pm. But somehow magically my wifi has started. I guess the tapes are holding the button in place again! But still, I am waiting for the new router.  We are so dependent on the internet today, few hours its down and I already feel so handicapped. I suddenly remember all the work I need to do and somehow it involves the internet.

1:52 pm: Time for a healthy lunch of Ladyfingers and chapatti.

2:15 pm: K calls up and says that on Monday he is off to Hubli for work.  Whats Hubli? My geography and general knowledge is terrible. It is appalling how I don’t know the basics of our country, the states, and its ministers and basically what is going on in our world. But well knowing me, I couldn’t care less.

So like any other person in need for information, I opened Google. Today I learnt something new. 

Wikipedia says - Hubli officially known as Hubballi is an agglomerating city in the state of Karnataka, India. The name Hubballi literally means "Flowering creeper" in Kannada. The twin cities of Hubli and Dharwad, collectively referred to as "Hubli-Dharwad", is the largest city in Karnataka after Bengaluru.

3:45 pm: Router fixed. Finished watching Grey's Anatomy and now waiting for my maid to come and make me tea. Post tea it’s time to get serious and work.

Back to life.

Peace.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Modi's and mints...

"Get cash" said my Beautician.

From where, the sky? I retorted angrily. 

Cash has become a huge problem right now. Modi's move is great but it has affected the common man's life very badly. Can you believe it, tomorrow I have an appointment with my beautician and for a meagre amount I have to shell out a cheque since I do not have any cash on me right now. 

I want to go to Pune to visit my Grand Mom and sadly I have no money to pay for the taxi. I doubt that particular fellow whom we contact takes any card payment. So basically we all are stuck. 

Moving on to other issues that I go through...

K has downloaded an app called "In shorts" or something like that in my phone. I am suppose to compulsorily read and study it. Why? K feels I have no idea what is happening in the world and I should know the basics. 

To be honest, he is right. I really don't have that much knowledge about the current happenings plus I truly do not care about "news", what is hap…

Because Mommy hates my eyebrows......

I hate this weather. It's all wet and weird. I am so surprised at myself for nearly finishing my commissions for September. Alongside I even managed to watch two movies. I had decided to watch them only on the completion of my work as a "treat", but well I just cannot say no to a movie night with K. Actually I cannot say no to anyone when it comes to watching a movie. So I ended up watching Freaky Ali which sucked. And Pink which did not suck at all. What a movie!

I called the "Mother" to discuss Pink and the seriousness it showcased about the way women are judged in the Indian society. After ranting for a couple of minutes about how we are perceived and shackled with responsibilities and judgements, she replies -
 "Have you done your eyebrows?"

Now my eyebrows are currently a crisis for my Mother. The fact that her daughter has disregarded the importance of physical maintenance is shocking for her. Since I have been piled this month with maddening w…

To the 2016 that was and a 2017 that will be...

Happy New Year Peeps! *sneezes hard*

I just returned from a fabulous seven day holiday and now I am feeling the, to quote my friend R - "Holiday withdrawal symptoms". 
So for me the symptoms are mild melancholy and a viral infection. 
The year 2016 has just gone by too fast. Like literally too fast. It was a year of love, family, travel, art along with loss, hurt and pain. It was a bittersweet year for me. During Gudi Padwa which is a Maharashtrian New Year, there is a famous tradition that we follow. We never did that, well since we have never been a traditional family. Father and Mother have been free birds always and their need for flying free has rubbed on to us. The tradition was to eat a mixture of neem leaves and jaggery. Of course I am sure it must have tasted disgusting but it had a symbolic reference to it. It meant that life would always be a mixture of bitterness and sweetness. We have to hope for the sweet but also accept and appreciate the bitter. We have to accep…