Skip to main content

A mother's wings


A mother gives her whole life to her children. Once they come, her universe shifts and suddenly there is a love that develops fiercer than anything. All her life she lives for her children, thinks for them, works for them and breathes for them. Each and every minute of her life now goes in hoping and praying for their well being.

Most of the times at the expense of her wings, she gives her children the wings to soar.

My mother has completely lived for us. Her whole world has been “The Sibling” and me.  And now when I leave in a few days, I worry. Not just about how I will cope without my Mom near me 24/7, but wondering how she will be without me.

Over time a mother has done everything possible to make her child a good human being. She gives them the tools and essentials needed to face whatever life is going to throw at them. Sometimes she shelters, sometimes protects, she teaches and sometimes she lets go.
She lets us fall so we learn; she sometimes needs to hurt to make us stronger. She teaches us to be independent, and do everything that she felt if she had done, her life would be different.

Mom has told me the story of my first day of school so many times. I am sure every child’s first day goes this way, where the child cries to leave their safe world of motherly love, and sit in a room full of strangers, oblivious to the fact that the mother is hiding right outside to see how her baby is coping.
The first time I had to use the school bus, I had no idea that my Mom was at school watching me from behind a tree, making sure I have learnt to get on the right bus. She would follow back in a cab and then receive me at the bus stop.

Then as I grew older she watched me deal with school, bullies, depression, rebellion, college life, friends, and the list goes on. She knew where to hold on and she knew where to let me go. She knew everything. But at the same time as I grew older, our dependability on each other grew too. Not just a physical dependability, but an emotional one. Soon I was needed to do tasks which she could easily do, but it was better for her when I did it. Our lives became entwined like never before.

Running errands, taking care of certain aspects, going together everywhere for the smallest of things became our life. And then somehow she cannot imagine doing all this without the daughter.
“What will I do without you?” is something she keeps saying at least twice a day.

Our life became one, since she became my world, friend, sister, boss, she became everything. We have been having our tea together, watching shows together, having long conversations, reading books, movies, lunches; she plays her candycrush next to me while I do my art. We have a compulsive need to share each and everything with each other.
 All this is my life. And hers too.
And I know once I leave there’s going to be a vacuum. For her and me.

Couple of days ago we had gone shopping. She is not comfortable using the card and punching the pin. Little things that stressed her, I always took care of. She told me to go and complete the payment with the card. And that moment it struck me, that Mom, I won’t be there anymore to do these tiny things.
I told her – “Make the payment Mom, you know how to. I am right here watching, but you have to do it yourself because I will not be there each time you shop”
It’s not like she doesn’t know, she just prefers me to be there. She feels safe, just the way I feel safe when she’s around.

Now it’s my turn give her wings. It’s my turn to now let go. It is my turn to now know when to hold on and when to let her learn.
It’s time for my Mom to fly now, and find a new way to fill her nest since I will be building my own.

And don’t worry Mom, no matter what happens I will always be there just the way I know you will always be there. 
I am a phone call away.
I am grateful to God that I will be just one hour away, and we can still always meet whenever we need.
We can meet and have “our little world” again for one day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Modi's and mints...

"Get cash" said my Beautician.

From where, the sky? I retorted angrily. 

Cash has become a huge problem right now. Modi's move is great but it has affected the common man's life very badly. Can you believe it, tomorrow I have an appointment with my beautician and for a meagre amount I have to shell out a cheque since I do not have any cash on me right now. 

I want to go to Pune to visit my Grand Mom and sadly I have no money to pay for the taxi. I doubt that particular fellow whom we contact takes any card payment. So basically we all are stuck. 

Moving on to other issues that I go through...

K has downloaded an app called "In shorts" or something like that in my phone. I am suppose to compulsorily read and study it. Why? K feels I have no idea what is happening in the world and I should know the basics. 

To be honest, he is right. I really don't have that much knowledge about the current happenings plus I truly do not care about "news", what is hap…

Because Mommy hates my eyebrows......

I hate this weather. It's all wet and weird. I am so surprised at myself for nearly finishing my commissions for September. Alongside I even managed to watch two movies. I had decided to watch them only on the completion of my work as a "treat", but well I just cannot say no to a movie night with K. Actually I cannot say no to anyone when it comes to watching a movie. So I ended up watching Freaky Ali which sucked. And Pink which did not suck at all. What a movie!

I called the "Mother" to discuss Pink and the seriousness it showcased about the way women are judged in the Indian society. After ranting for a couple of minutes about how we are perceived and shackled with responsibilities and judgements, she replies -
 "Have you done your eyebrows?"

Now my eyebrows are currently a crisis for my Mother. The fact that her daughter has disregarded the importance of physical maintenance is shocking for her. Since I have been piled this month with maddening w…

To the 2016 that was and a 2017 that will be...

Happy New Year Peeps! *sneezes hard*

I just returned from a fabulous seven day holiday and now I am feeling the, to quote my friend R - "Holiday withdrawal symptoms". 
So for me the symptoms are mild melancholy and a viral infection. 
The year 2016 has just gone by too fast. Like literally too fast. It was a year of love, family, travel, art along with loss, hurt and pain. It was a bittersweet year for me. During Gudi Padwa which is a Maharashtrian New Year, there is a famous tradition that we follow. We never did that, well since we have never been a traditional family. Father and Mother have been free birds always and their need for flying free has rubbed on to us. The tradition was to eat a mixture of neem leaves and jaggery. Of course I am sure it must have tasted disgusting but it had a symbolic reference to it. It meant that life would always be a mixture of bitterness and sweetness. We have to hope for the sweet but also accept and appreciate the bitter. We have to accep…