Skip to main content

Eternally curious


Today Mom showed me this article she read by Elizabeth Gilbert, who talks about the concept of “finding your passion” and the rigidity lying behind that thought process.

The article revolved around how these days’ people are classified into two categories, ones that have found their calling, and second are those who are yet to find it. A lot of emphasis is always put on finding your true calling, finding your passion, finding something you love, etc.

While there are people who instantly know what they are meant to do, there are also a lot of people who are yet to know what they love and live for.

There was a time when I too used to run around wondering what I love. I have never known my passion. I used to fly around like a bee around different flowers, jumping from one flower to the next, trying my hand out at different things. But I would lose interest and then move on to the next. Somehow a year ago I realized that my hobby (art) was actually what I loved doing the most, and finally today, I am at peace with myself. It was a slow process of a hobby culminating into passion and then becoming my career.

 

Gilbert has classified people into two types, the jackhammers and the hummingbirds.

Jackhammers are people who are have found their passion; they are focused, and constantly immersed into their work. But hummingbirds are different. They are not sure what their passion is, hence they are eternally curious.

Here is Gilbert’s description.

"Hummingbirds spend their lives doing it very differently. They move from tree to tree, from flower to flower, from field to field, trying this, trying that," Gilbert says. "Two things happen: They create incredibly rich, complex lives for themselves, and they also end up cross-pollinating the world."
While jackhammers may be built for following one passion in life, hummingbirds provide the world with a very different service.
"Hummingbird person: You bring an idea from here to over here, where you learn something else and you weave it in, then you take it here to the next thing you do," Gilbert says.
I liked the way she has given a name and an identity to these people. Why should those without a fix passion be considered less, or be called “unsure” about their life and purpose. There is nothing wrong in not knowing what your passion is.  Life is too short; hence I feel it is good to try out as many things as you want. End of the day my motto is “do what makes your soul happy”.
 Sometimes I also feel that having a set passion is stressful.
I am mostly always under a lot of pressure when it comes to my art, especially my commissions. Due to the expectation of good work all the time, I falter under the stress. It is very overwhelming. I absolutely love my work, but there is always this voice in my head stressing me out that I need to do better, I need to work harder, I need to strive and excel.
I have never been competitive, but sometimes your passion forces you to strive harder and be better. You start comparing yourself to others in your field; there I feel we go wrong. The complete purity and sanctity of your passion starts to diminish when you start the game of comparison and competition. It’s easy for this stress to affect your work and make the “fun” fly away from your passion.
So it’s a thin line actually. I am learning now to keep a balance. I avoid comparing my work to anyone. I give myself credit where I need to and I now know when to push myself to do better.
Hence trust me, always being a jackhammer is not the best, being a hummingbird has its own beauty.
So if you find that one thing that makes you happy, then good, you are lucky. But if not, that’s ok too. Do a hundred things that make you happy. Whatever grows your soul should be done. May it be travelling, art, movies, beauty, photography, food, etc.
There is a magnanimous amount of opportunities present and new experiences to feel. Sometimes I feel even one life is not enough to experience everything. There is just so much to see and do.

Here is another wonderful thing she said,
"If you're willing to just release yourself from the pressure and the anxieties surrounded by passion, and you just humbly and faithfully continue to follow the trail of the hummingbird path... one of these days, you just might look up and realize, 'Oh, my word, I am exactly where I'm meant to be,'" Gilbert says. "In other words, if you can let go of 'passion' and follow your curiosity, your curiosity just might lead you to your passion."
Peace.




 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Modi's and mints...

"Get cash" said my Beautician.

From where, the sky? I retorted angrily. 

Cash has become a huge problem right now. Modi's move is great but it has affected the common man's life very badly. Can you believe it, tomorrow I have an appointment with my beautician and for a meagre amount I have to shell out a cheque since I do not have any cash on me right now. 

I want to go to Pune to visit my Grand Mom and sadly I have no money to pay for the taxi. I doubt that particular fellow whom we contact takes any card payment. So basically we all are stuck. 

Moving on to other issues that I go through...

K has downloaded an app called "In shorts" or something like that in my phone. I am suppose to compulsorily read and study it. Why? K feels I have no idea what is happening in the world and I should know the basics. 

To be honest, he is right. I really don't have that much knowledge about the current happenings plus I truly do not care about "news", what is hap…

Some "Arty" talk while he does Origami....

I have been trying to find time to write a post about my travels but it has been impossible to do that. They say you "got to make time", but sometimes there just isn't any time for anything! I sometimes wonder, where the hell are these precious minutes going?

It's a lazy Tuesday today and a full house. After a very elaborate lunch of chole and vadas, cake and custard along with some paan. K has slept off and I am feeling sleepy just looking at him. But no! I am going to write and then do some art.

Thankfully I have gotten a good number of commissions since I have come back. I have two more to do, which I shall start today. I finally got around to re-create an Islamic pattern few days back. I was so happy while making it but really devastated with the way it turned out. It took me ages just to construct the grid and then I colored them up using pens. Not very happy with the look and finish of the design. Realised I have a long way to go. I need much more practise. Actua…

To the 2016 that was and a 2017 that will be...

Happy New Year Peeps! *sneezes hard*

I just returned from a fabulous seven day holiday and now I am feeling the, to quote my friend R - "Holiday withdrawal symptoms". 
So for me the symptoms are mild melancholy and a viral infection. 
The year 2016 has just gone by too fast. Like literally too fast. It was a year of love, family, travel, art along with loss, hurt and pain. It was a bittersweet year for me. During Gudi Padwa which is a Maharashtrian New Year, there is a famous tradition that we follow. We never did that, well since we have never been a traditional family. Father and Mother have been free birds always and their need for flying free has rubbed on to us. The tradition was to eat a mixture of neem leaves and jaggery. Of course I am sure it must have tasted disgusting but it had a symbolic reference to it. It meant that life would always be a mixture of bitterness and sweetness. We have to hope for the sweet but also accept and appreciate the bitter. We have to accep…